Don't be their guest: why I am done with Airbnb

Where do I start?
At my last Airbnb there were no curtains and no apparent working AC, but I McGuyvered a solution for the former and discussed the latter with a tenant before bed. The next day I asked the host if she'd knock $20 off a second night's stay, due to the aforementioned. It was $90 to sleep in a room only guarded by my own coat and scarf, to stay cool from my own ice pack and see my way around by candles. The two lamps were not working and the above-ceiling light only had one of three bulbs working, barely at that.
Everything went nuts when this host started accusing me of being the only person to complain about such things; now it was clear I was leaving, and unhappily at that. Airbnb agreed to a $30 refund and a $25 coupon. I reviewed the property honestly that night.
That's when she called me a KAREN (all caps) and a racist. Although this latter accusation violates Airbnb policy, they took days to tell me they are conducting an investigation. Investigation? I am a 65 year-old half Jewish, struggling freelance journalist who once tutored Black kids for free in Harlem, speaks quite a bit of Spanish, and last went out with a Filipino. What about that screams 'racist'?
This woman said when I corrected her preposition--she had said the bedroom was "in" the livingroom--that was evidence! I had said I taught English as a second language and realized prepositions were tough. Yes, I clunkily asked where she was from, but that was awkward, not racist.
I closed my account tonight after supporting all of Airbnb's offspring through college. This company has made a small fortune off me. On Monday I will seek legal advice. I realize I should have turned that last coupon into money, but I can do that when "George" in Legal contacts me.
I met a lot of wonderful hosts over the years, especially the Colombian couple with the studio-like above-kitchen room, in South Norwalk, and the host in Falls Church who agreed to hold my little white bear. This has been extremely hurtful. I am a good person, but I am not rolling over and allow myself to be put through this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A quiet night at Bradley

Roma tops for most romantic honeymoon getaway

Ten Towns Less Travelled: Part Three - Cheyenne, Wyoming