How to celebrate New Year’s Safely this Year

Alone. That's my best advice. And for those who have never been alone on New Year’s Eve, well yes, it is difficult but it has its perks:
- being able to toggle between Andy and Anderson and Ryan Seacrest without enduring The Scowl
- having your cake and eating it, too
- falling asleep early without feeling guilty
If you are married and/or live with your family, give everyone a kazoo. But the person who blows it before the ball at Times Square drops must sit quietly for an hour. Another game is something I made up long ago and used to play with my mom. Ask one question, on any topic, but first answer yourself. This is a fun and enlightening activity (my mom used to like to imagine the color of her bridesmaids’ dresses).
Whatever you do, don't go out, unless it is a simple stroll about the neighborhood. Mask wearing is easily tossed asunder when one is drunk (I can only imagine). Walks release endorphins and help one work off that quarantine 15 some of us might be lugging around!
Every year since I can recall I have made a vision collage on New Year’s Eve. This allows me to prepare for the new year in an admittedly nonsensical but still tangible way. Interestingly, my vision collage for 202O has a lot of scarves on it. It also has New York, but due to the pandemic I have not been. To make the collage, grab a bunch of old magazines and newspapers; cut out any images that resonate with you; take a sip of your champagne; cut and paste. I love rubber cement. The entire collage should fit on one magazine page.
Here’s to a better 2021. Get that sleeve rolled up.
Image: Simon Law, Wikimedia Commons Images

Comments