Washington tourism tips in summer, or what I know so far (part 1 of 5)

I came to DC for a job in mid-May, from Connecticut by way of South Texas (long story). I had scarcely shaken the bugs out of my luggage from San Antonio when I had to up and leave beautiful Milford, Connecticut again. Some people love the sun, others the mountains, others the beach. I am in the latter category. I was born in Southern California, raised near San Francisco and spent my 20s and 30s on the Pacific Ocean. I moved to Connecticut and of course, had to live by the beach. While I griped about the Sound being puny compared to the Pacific, in retrospect, it sure was blissful breathing in that sea air every morning and seeing the sea gulls squawk overhead. So it was with a bit of trepidation that I agreed to this detour on my life's journey, as a beach lover (always a California girl), who never pined for men in power so much as men in Berkeley cafes, stooped over their Macs thinking up mathematical equations while listening to Bach. I wasn't prepared for the culture shock, and my constant "Where's the beach?" refrain was met with the same: "Oh! Super close! Just three hours away!"
Now, the last time I checked, three hours is about the length of "Titanic" and similarly serious movies that made me cry in the '90s. Three hours is long enough to play a decent tennis match, catch up with a friend over dinner and still fit in drinks, or talk to your mom and find out every little detail about Aunt Doris' hip replacement surgery while still digesting Beanie Weanies from a can.
I spent whole evenings searching Google Earth to find a beach I could get to easily. But finally, I resigned myself to gasping with pleasure as the Shuttle from Rosslyn purrs over the Potomac on the way to Georgetown, or smiling lightly as a biker (ubiquitous here, and always perfectly dressed in loud greens and oranges) nearly runs over a squirrel by the creek here in Falls Church (Va.)
My summer tips for travelers wanting to visit this fair metropolis is, well, wait til Autumn but if you must come now, check out Lincoln Monument. Get off the Metro, Orange Line, at Foggy Bottom. I just like saying Foggy Bottom. You'll come up right at the George Washington University Hospital entrance; make a right and keep walking, passing a couple cafes, following the buildings of the university, frats, etc. Once you pass the State Building on your left, you're well on your way.
When I saw the Lincoln Memorial off in the distance, I just had to stop for a selfie (see photo above). It's stunning, but not as awesome (in the truest sense of the word) as when I saw old Lincoln himself.
Read Part 2 next week, when I tell you about my upcoming trip to Arlington Cemetery

Comments