Ten Towns Less Travelled - Part Ten: Montauk, New York

When I saw that Showtime's "The Affair" was shot in Montauk, it was thrilling. But also a little unsettling - because when I discovered the easternmost tip of Long Island in the Hamptons back in 2004, I felt isolated. Walking off the train and into town was a soulful experience, a retreat from the more gentrified folk in Southhampton and East Hampton.
Yet, nothing can spoil such natural beauty, not even more tourists, more expensive homes, or the Hollywood intrusion (and a fine dramatic one at that - crisp writing and compelling acting.)
Following are my top 10 to-dos in Montauk, but first be clear on where it's located and how to get there: I like to take the Long Island Railroad out of Penn Station. But then, I love trains and abhor traffic. If you are like me bring a good book, your mineral water and a PB&J and settle in for a gorgeous ride out of the city and into the Hamptons. Along the way you'll pass those stuffier places I mentioned (although they're worth a visit too, just be prepared to feel poor or at least poorly dressed).
Top 10 to-do's in Montauk:
1. Go fishing. OK, I don't fish, but I enjoy going with others who do - why, just look at my smile here. I was on board a boat called "Lazy Bones". Find your own boat or make friends with a local who has one.
2. Beach comb. Because you're at the end of Long Island, it's thrilling to realize you're right there where the Atlantic meets Long Island Sound. I have the sea in my blood - my ancestor was a captain who came from England to Massachusetts in the 17th century - so everything about Montauk resonates with me.
3. Visit the lighthouse. You may have seen it in "The Affair". Gorgeous, grab your iPhone and upload to Instagram. You can also buy a sweatshirt while you're there so friends back in Minneapolis know you were here. Montauk Lighthouse, a historic landmark, lies next to Montauk Point State Park, at the easternmost point of the island.
4. Eat seafood. Duh. Because I haven't gone to every restaurant, I'll refrain from making a recommendation, but I would suggest your asking someone who works in town what they recommend.
5. Peruse A Tale of Two Sisters bookstore. Has every book under the sun or can order one if they don't have it. Also sponsors paint nights and other activities.
6. Take a long walk. Get lost (well, sorta) down by the piers and talk to the local fishermen (and women). This is the "real" Montauk.
7. Take a cruise. See boat links above under "fishing". Montauk is remarkably small. All you need to basically do is walk down to the water and check for something that suits your budget. Though again, I love to rely on the locals here.
8. Go bicycling out to the lighthouse or around town. The homes are gorgeous, as is the scenery.
9. Sit at the seashore and draw. Don't fancy yourself an artist? Ya never know til you pick up a pencil or pen and a pad of paper and try.
10. End your day watching the sun set and then dropping by the Liar's Saloon, which sits at the end of a boat yard, for a brewskie and some karaoke. 401 West Lake Drive.
Tips: Check the weather report. It can get windy at this point in the Hamptons and if you're scheduled for a boat ride, it may be a factor. Obviously as we head further into spring, the weather's getting nicer. It's pretty year-round, but more conducive to water sports in late April through the end of summer.
Contact me at www.lauriewiegler.com or at lauriewiegler@gmail.com.
Photos: Top - the author aboard "Lazy Bones" boat at Montauk, 2004; Second - from Wikimedia Commons Images, Bellbird190, Aug. 26, 2016; Bottom - from Wikimedia Commons Images, by Wolfgang Wander, "Montauk Point Lighthouse taken in the early morning hours of 12/10/2005", Dec. 10, 2005.

Comments