Ten towns less travelled: Part Seven - Milford, Connecticut

Milford, Connecticut has been home for most of the past decade and change, minus a short stint in nearby New Haven and four years in neighboring West Haven. Like Playdough, Shawn Cassidy and crunching leaves under my sneakers, it makes me smile. I've been away for a few weeks, and this makes me miss Milford all the more.
Just an hour and a half by train or a little over an hour by car from New York, it's amazing how quiet and serene the town is. Believe it or not, some people I've met in Milford haven't even been to New York City in years. But others of us go all the time, some people even commuting into Manhattan for jobs. Though it's more popular for people in Milford to work locally or no farther than New Haven to the north or Stamford to the south.
In 2014 Milford celebrated a pretty big birthday: its 375th. Yes, that may sound old to you, but I assure you Milford still has quite the body (of water) and keeps up on all the latest trends (Archie Moore's on a Friday night is sick.) But don't let me try and entice you by how this old beauty is keeping up her looks. Just take a gander at these pictures.
Unlike my other "ten towns" in this series, I don't think you really need a "to do" list when you come to Milford. It's so stunning, so ripe with history, so postcard perfect from block to block that you can have fun just taking Instagram photos down by Gulf Beach or ooohing and awwwing at the Colonial and Victorian era homes down by the Sound. Walk to the green and propose marriage under a charming white New England gazebo. Grab a sandwich at Liquid Lunch on the green and take a load off on a city bench. Watch the leaves change color out by the Connecticut Post Mall. Have a snowball fight in the winter. Rediscover 90s bands at the annual Oyster Fest. This year the festival will be on my birthday, August 19. More importantly, National Geographic just deemed it the best foodie fest in the state!
Yes, Milford, I love you. And like many loves in life, it's sometimes felt a little unrequited. I know your housing prices can be a bit steep down by the Sound. I know you could be a little more multi-cultural. And Stop 'n Shop definitely needs to pick up those plastic bags (and ban them all togher) on the trees on East Town Road.
But love you, I do, and I can't wait to see you again soon. After all, there is no place more beautiful than New England in April.
PHOTOS: by Laurie Wiegler (3rd photo down: at Archie Moore's)
Tomorrow: Part Eight - Jersey City, New Jersey
Contact me at www.lauriewiegler.com or lauriewiegler@gmail.com.

Comments